Electrical Services


If a property has not already been rewired within the last 25-30 years, the chances are it will need upgrading, at least in part, in order to bring it up to current standards. The wiring may be potentially dangerous and may not cope with the demands of modern living.

If you plan major remodelling work that constitutes a material alteration as defined by the Building Regulations, it is likely that you will need to rewire part, if not all, of the property, including upgrading the consumer unit (fuse box).

If you are extending your home, or converting an attic or garage, this will constitute new work and therefore all of the new wiring will have to conform to Part P: Electrical Safety. Also, all existing wiring will have to be improved to ensure that it is able to carry the additional loads safely, it is earthed to current requirements and that cross bonding is satisfactory.

Where you are extending or remodelling, the rest of the existing wiring does not have to be upgraded, except where upgrading is required by the energy efficiency requirements of the Building Regulations

Consumer Unit Upgrade

BS7671 call for more extensive provision for RCD (residual current device) protection of both domestic and non domestic dwellings. The practicalities of meeting those requirements for protection of cables buried in plaster or enclosed within partitions means that more circuits now need 30Ma RCD protection.

It is also a requirement that all 13A sockets up 20A for use by "ordinary persons"  should normally be protected by 30Ma RCD

In bathrooms for example RCD protection is now required for all circuits

Latest consumer unit designs have changed to meet the new regulations

PAT Testing

We can provide a simple cost effective solution, enabling you to comply with the Electricity at Works Regulations.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing) is a process in the United Kingdom by which electrical appliances are routinely checked for safety.

The Electricity at Work Regulations (1989) requires "All electrical systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any danger"

This is interpreted as covering the fixed electrical installation as well as portable and transportable equipment connected to it.

 The regulation also states "It is the duty of every employer and self employed person to comply with the provision of these Regulations"


We can offer friendly, professional advice to help with all your lighting requirements, from indoor/outdoor lighting, replacing existing lighting to installing new or additional lights

Outdoor Power

For mains voltage in the garden or for outdoor lighting, you need to make sure you are staying within the building regulations. This applies to other outdoor electrical activities also, such as putting a light or electric socket in the shed or supplying electricity to a pump in the fishpond.

Every cable, wire, socket, appliance and light used outdoors has to be protected by an RCD (residual current device) which will instantly cut off the power should anything happen to make power leak to earth, for example if a cable gets cut or someone gets a shock.

Inspection & Testing

If you are having electrical works undertaken at your property, then you may need an electrical certificate under Part P Building Regulations Electrical Safety. This depends on the type of work being undertaken. This can be issued by a qualified electrician belonging to a Competent Person Scheme.

A Competent Person is a business that has been adjudged to be sufficiently competent to self certify that its work complies with Part P of the Buildings Regulations of England and Wales